Sovereign Equality, Territorial Integrity and Non-Interference
The Parties shall carry out their obligations under this Convention in a manner consistent with the principles of sovereign equality and territorial integrity of States and that of non-interference in the internal affairs of other Parties.
Preservation of Sovereignty
Nothing in this Convention entitles a Party to undertake, in the territory of another Party, the exercise of jurisdiction or performance of functions which are exclusively reserved for the authorities of that other Party by its domestic laws.
This Convention shall not apply where the offence is committed within a single Party, the alleged offender and the victims are nationals of that Party, the alleged offender is found in the territory of that Party and no other Party has a basis under this Convention to exercise jurisdiction.
Areas of Cooperation
- The areas of cooperation under this Convention may, in conformity with the domestic laws of the respective Parties, include appropriate measures, among others, to:
- Take the necessary steps to prevent the commission of terrorist acts, including by the provision of early warning to the other Parties through the exchange of information;
- Prevent those who finance, plan, facilitate, or commit terrorist acts from using their respective territories for those purposes against the other Parties and/or the citizens of the other Parties;
- Prevent and suppress the financing of terrorist acts;
- Prevent the movement of terrorists or terrorist groups by effective border control and controls on issuance of identity papers and travel documents, and through measures for preventing counterfeiting, forgery or fraudulent use of identity papers and travel documents;
- Promote capacity-building including trainings and technical cooperation and the holding of regional meetings;
- Promote public awareness and participation in efforts to counter terrorism, as well as enhance inter-faith and intra-faith dialogue and dialogue among civilisations;
- Enhance cross-border cooperation;
- Enhance intelligence exchange and sharing of information;
- Enhance existing cooperation towards developing regional databases under the purview of the relevant ASEAN bodies;
- Strengthen capability and readiness to deal with chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear (CBRN) terrorism, cyber terrorism and any new forms of terrorism;
- Undertake research and development on measures to counter terrorism;
- Encourage the use of video conference or teleconference facilities for court proceedings, where appropriate; and
- Ensure that any person who participates in the financing, planning, preparation or perpetration of terrorist acts or in supporting terrorist acts is brought to justice.
- Subject to the consent of the Parties concerned, Parties shall cooperate to address the root causes of terrorism and conditions conducive to the spread of terrorism to prevent the perpetration of terrorist acts and the propagation of terrorist cells.
- A Party shall take such measures as may be necessary to establish its jurisdiction over the offences covered in Article II of this Convention when:
- The offence is committed in the territory of that Party; or
- The offence is committed on board a vessel flying the flag of that Party or an aircraft which is registered under the laws of that Party at the time the offence is committed; or
- The offence is committed by a national of that Party.